Applications will be evaluated based on the following five criteria:
- Academic Achievement — using official transcripts of academic work (0-20 points)
- Leadership Record — using a resume and letters of recommendation from teachers, volunteer organization supervisors, job supervisors, etc. (0-20 points)
- Community Service — measuring character qualities (engagement, commitment, trustworthiness, and passion to serve) using a candidate essay (0-20 points)
- Vietnamese identity pride, as demonstrated by knowledge of history, culture and language — using a candidate essay (0-20 points)
- Passion to apply their academic background to create a better world, both in America and Vietnam — using a candidate essay (0-20 points)
For item #1, the candidate must submit official transcripts of all secondary and post-secondary academic work (as PDF files). The transcript should clearly indicate the institution’s name and address, the applicant’s name, the date issued, and the names, dates, and grades achieved for all courses completed or in progress.
For item #2, the resume should be a 1-2 page summary of the candidate’s achievements (as a PDF file). In addition, there should be three 1-2 page letters of recommendation (as PDF files) from teachers, supervisors, etc. which must include the recommender’s name, title, organization, email address, and phone number
For items #3, 4, and 5, the applicant will be evaluated based on a 500 word essay (as a PDF file) on the following
- Describe your Vietnamese heritage and how it has shaped you into the person you are today. Please include your experience in community service activities. Also, comment on any hardships that you have had to overcome to pursue higher education
In this essay, the candidate must address how he/she meets all of the qualities listed in items #3, 4, and 5, namely: engagement, commitment, trustworthiness, passion to serve, background in Vietnamese history and culture, and passion to create a better world.
An interview with the judges may be required.
December 17, 2017 — January 18, 2018: Public announcement of scholarship opportunity in various media
January 18 – February 18, 2018: On-line portal open for receiving applications
February 19 – April 18, 2018: Application review and candidate selection for interviews
May 18, 2018 — Scholarship announcement for academic year 2018-2019