To qualify for The Long Nguyen and Kimmy Duong Undergraduate Scholarship Program in Southern California, applicants must be Vietnamese American (US citizens or US Permanent Resident), and must enroll in the University of California LA (UCLA), University of California Irvine (UCI), Cal State Long Beach, and Cal State Pomona.
Scholarship recipients receive both a financial award and an opportunity to engage in job training with working professionals in their field of study. To accomplish the latter, each recipient must attend quarterly meetings with a professional mentor in the Southern California.
To accept the scholarships, applicants should be at the award ceremony and also attend our semi-annual mandatory meetings.
Additional qualifications are:
- Vietnamese heritage
- Age 17-30
- Outstanding academic achievement (for example, GPA of 3.0 or above)
- Strong leadership potential
- Demonstrated active service to the Vietnamese, and/or American communities
- Strong knowledge of your heritage (Vietnamese)
- Strong desire to support for a better world
- Passion to protect the values of freedom, democracy, and human rights world-wide
- In need of financial aid
Special consideration will be given to students with unique situations, for example
- low to moderate incomes
- single parents returning to school to improve their families' lives, or
- students who are trying to recover from a past criminal record and improve their own lives.